Reenacting is a fun and rewarding hobby. Whether you portray famous historical figures or your own fictional character, reenacting is a form of time travel for those of us who feel they were born in the wrong era. However, reenacting can be overwhelming and very expensive. I hope through this blog to help those new to the hobby, or even those veteran reenactors, to enjoy reenacting without breaking the bank. Blog posts will address things like developing your character, traditions and etiquette for different time periods, and affordable but accurate clothing options. So step back in time to days gone by...

Friday, July 22, 2011

New Suit

After two weeks of battling patterns Christine and I finally finished a Victorian suit for my hubby!
He tried it on for the first time today (it was a surprise) and with the exception of needing a nip and tuck to the trousers it fits well!
The pinstripe fabric was $1.50 per yard from Walmart (it took about 10 yards).
Buttons were discounted 40% from Joann's with coupons.
The vest fabric was $4 a yard from Hobby Lobby (the fabric is leftover yardage from a dress I am making).
We used a McCall's pattern for the trousers, Simplicity for the vest, and a Burda pattern for the coat.
The Burda pattern was very difficult to follow but produced a lovely coat.
Leftover fabric was used for the coat lining.
Hubby will look very nice at the next reenactment in his new pin stripe suit with hat, gloves, and tie:).
We literally saved hundreds of dollars making his suit.
It was a lot of hard work but worth it:).

6 comments:

  1. You have done a brilliant job as usual fantastic even.I wish you lived close by me to get me motivated lol I hate Burda patterns havent touched one in many years and dont think I ever will again so I am very impressed you followed it so well.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dapper your beau looks!!! Better keep him on your arm ;) The talent in creating this pieces is incredible and leaves me shaking my head in wonder and admiration - kudos!

    "Her" and Romeo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning suit for the well dressed man!
    You guys did a wonderful job,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Deanna, it really is a stunning suit for an equally stunning man! Hubby looks fantastic, and the suit is beyond words wonderful! You did such a good job, and for a mere fraction of the cost. Wow, you could give up your day job and have a great business tailoring for men and women alike! Enjoy your weekend! ~Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Wish my brothers would wear these. Perhaps if i ever marry my husband will. Check out my blog next month everyone for some giveaways!

    ReplyDelete