Reenacting is a fun and rewarding hobby. Whether you portray famous historical figures or your own fictional character, reenacting is a form of time travel for those of us who feel they were born in the wrong era. However, reenacting can be overwhelming and very expensive. I hope through this blog to help those new to the hobby, or even those veteran reenactors, to enjoy reenacting without breaking the bank. Blog posts will address things like developing your character, traditions and etiquette for different time periods, and affordable but accurate clothing options. So step back in time to days gone by...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Favorite Things

As a historic reenactor I am always on the lookout for authentic pieces at affordable prices.
Recently I stumbled across these antique 'pince nez' glasses.
They are comfortable to wear and happened to be my prescription:).
I found this antique sewing chatelaine online which I also plan on using at reenactments.
The small silver teapot pin cushion was a fun find at one of the sutlers at the Battle of Gambels Hotel.
The thimble was another lovely discovery at the same sutler's tent.
This old Victorian box is battered but still beautiful.
The top lifts and the front panel folds down.
The best part is that it holds some of my favorite things :).
Don't forget to check online shopping as well as local businesses when looking for special pieces:).
Pince nez glasses found at Antiques in Old Town, Lilburn, Ga
Chatelaine found on Rubylane
Antique box found at Lakewood 400 Antiques Fair outside of Atlanta

5 comments:

  1. Oh what wonderful finds you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The chatelaine is beautiful. Thimbles are getting harder to find, surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen those kind of glasses. I am thinking that they attached on your hair??? You sure found some gorgeous pieces. The chatelaine is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stop looking at how stunning and beauteous these pieces are :-)
    Just as lovely as can be! (How honored you must feel to own these little time capsule objects)!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Blessings Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful items! I especially love that chatelaine. I always wanted one, but wouldn't have any occasion to use it. That's a really lovely one!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete